Tuesday, October 21, 2014

chili verde

My mom's Chicken Chili Verde has been a family classic and favorite for a long time.  It was one of the first recipes I requested as a newly-wed, and served often.
  As I have been struggling through my new found veganism this was a meal I turned to for ease and comfort.  I decided to try it as is just without the chicken and found it was lacking texture and sustenance.  Basically a glorified liquid salsa.  I improvised by adding quinoa and some things I had on hand.   Next time I will probably chop up some green peppers  to add to the mix.    



chili verde

3 cloves garlic minced
1 small onion chopped
3 C green salsa
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
3 10oz cans green enchilada sauce
2 corn tortilla broken up
1/2 C uncooked quinoa
avacado
fresh cilantro

Saute onion and garlic in a fry pan and place in crock pot with green salsa, cumin, coriander, enchilada sauce, cilantro and 2 corn tortillas.   I was in a time crunch and didn't have time to let the quinoa cook in the crock pot so I cooked it for about 10 minutes and then strained it and put it in the pot with the rest of the ingredients.  I will try a more convenient way next time I make it and update this post.    Since nothing has to cook through you can leave it in there for as little or as long as you need.  The flavors taste better if you give them time to marry, I would say at least 4-6 hours on low.  
Serve over rice and corn tortillas or with tortilla chips, adding the avacado and remaining cilantro on top.    

No comments:

Post a Comment